I don’t know about you but there’s a lot of people around me feeling under the weather lately (myself included!). I’ve decided to share one of my favourite superfood salad recipes to help give you a much-needed burst of vitamins and minerals to boost your immune system and help you through January. Pomegranate is one of my absolute favourite fruits (and little Jenson’s too!). Not only does it taste amazing, but it is packed full of Vitamin C and powerful antioxidants called punicalagins (which are 3 x stronger than the antioxidants in green tea!). Pomegranates are also known for their anti-inflammatory and healing properties. The base of the salad is raw Kale, again packed with nutrients and minerals, Vitamin A and C and great for aiding with digestion and elimination. Kale is also packed full of iron, containing more iron than beef! The whole thing is just a nutritional powerhouse.
This recipe gives 4 portions. You can serve it as it is, or add chicken to it if you do not follow a vegetarian/ vegan diet.
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsps Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Pink Himalayan Salt & Black Pepper
- 2 cups Chickpeas (cooked, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups Kale Leaves (finely chopped)
- Place quinoa in a pan with water and bring to the boil. Turn down to simmer and cover. Let simmer for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by combining the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, pink salt and pepper.
- Combine chickpeas, kale and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl. Add quinoa once cooled and drizzle with the dressing. Mix to coat all the salad with the dressing and serve.
- Add roasted chicken (optional).
This keeps up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. DO let me know if you try it!
Love Natasha x